Upcoming R workshop02 May 2017
The Clinical Research Facility Cork is sponsoring a free, two-day introduction to data analysis using the R statistical programming language on June 8th and 9th (Th, F), from 09:00 to 16:00 in the Western Gateway Building G 15. Places are available on a first-come, first-serve basis, and there is space for 25 participants. Please email me at email@example.com to reserve a place.
The course is intended for people who are new to R, but at least somewhat familiar with other statistical software such as Stata or SPSS. It is primarily focused on the needs of academic researchers, but participants from other industries are welcome. Each participant will need to being their own laptop with R and R-Studio Desktop installed and working. Once these are installed, you will need to execute the following code:
install.packages("tidyverse"). You are also encouraged to “bring your own data” to work with (in any format).
We will cover the following topics:
- The strengths and weaknesses of R, relative to other options for data analysis
- The basics of “how R works”
- Working with the R-Studio environment
- Workflow and managing projects
- Importing data into R (from Excel, Stata, SAS, SPSS, text files)
- Working with dataframes
- Data visualisation with ggplot2
- Writing your own functions
- Literate programming and reproducible research
By the end of the workshop, you will be able to import a dataset into R, manipulate it, visualize it, and then wrap everything up in a report that can be reproduced at the press of a button.
For more R related activities, please feel free to join the Cork R-User’s Group here.
For help installing the R statistical programming language and R-Studio, please see these links.